Gone are the days of splash pads and sandals. Now when we leave the house my kids are bundled up in warm layers, and I find myself saying things like, “No, socks on your hands do not count as gloves!”
During the summer, there are many fun places to take the kids, and it is easy for us to find adventures and new places to visit. However, when the temperatures start to drop or the rainy days don’t seem to end, finding activities that are indoors but still exciting can be tricky. Staying at home can leave us all a little stir crazy, so we are always looking for fun places to explore that
save our sanity get us out of the house.
Below are 15 kid friendly places that are perfect to visit when the weather outside is frightful:
1. Dynamo Gymnastics – What kid wouldn’t love a three story tall playground/obstacle course?! Dynamo Gymnastic’s Playzone is open to the public, and your kids can play for only $5.00. They also offer a smaller indoor playground for toddlers and babies. Don’t forget your socks!
2. Bouncin Craze – If your kids are anything like mine, they have tons of energy. Nothing gets energy out better than a little jumping! Bouncin Craze is an indoor play area that has an inflatable arena that is perfect for hours of fun for the little ones.
3. Oklahoma Children’s Theater – This company provides theater classes and camps which are all geared towards children. They also have 8 theater productions throughout the year, 7 of which are perfect for children in fifth grade and below. Starting in February, they will be featuring “Dr. Seuss’ The Cat in the Hat”. If your kids are interested in theater, this is a great place to start!
4. The Science Museum – We love going to the science museum, and typically we go here at least once a week. There are so many neat hands-on-experiments for the kids to try, and there is even a place for babies to crawl around and explore. This place is so big that we discover new areas each time. From the planetarium to the science show, your kids will have a blast.
5. Unpluggits – This is a great place for kids to get their creative juices flowing. A great perk for us parents is that we don’t have to worry about paint splatters and play-dough getting smeared throughout the house!
6. The Library – Our library has many awesome learning activities for children. Every Wednesday our library has story time for preschoolers, and in the past they have had animal shows and weather safety presentations. Their events are free, and the library can help instill a love of learning in young children! Check your local library‘s website to see their events and times.
7. Jasmine Moran Children’s Museum – This museum is in Seminole, however it is well worth the drive. Your children will have the opportunity to explore a miniature city, complete with a hospital, fire department, and a courthouse. Pack a lunch to enjoy in their lunch room space.
8. The Museum of Osteology – Did you know that Oklahoma is home to America’s only skeleton museum? The Museum of Osteology gives kids the unique experience to get a first hand look at bones. There are over 300 displays. This museum even has a display of a 40 ft long humpback whale!
9. Gymboree Play & Music – This is an exciting place for babies and kids to explore and play! My kids had an absolute blast popping bubbles, playing with their friends, and laying under the parachute during an Oklahoma City Moms Blog play-date hosted at Gymboree. The classes are a great way for kids to socialize, learn, and play all while staying warm inside! Checkout their website for a free pass to one of their classes.
10. The playground at the Outlet Shoppes – Many of the malls around town have mini playgrounds, however, I think the playground at the outlet mall is the very best. It is a fun place for the kids to play while you grab a bite to eat. It is inside, and it is completely free!
11. Northpark 7 Movie Theater – My kids love going to the movies, but movies these days are expensive! Northpark 7 Movie Theater is a family friendly theater with budget friendly prices. Their movies are $2.00, and only $1.00 on Tuesdays! Check out their website to see what children’s movies are currently being shown.
12. We Rock The Spectrum – This is truly an amazing place that provides a safe space for children of all ability levels to grow and play together! Children love exploring their uniquely designed sensory equipment in their Kid’s Gym which features swings, a zip line, a trampoline, and much more! We Rock The Spectrum has open play time, classes, and parties.
13. Full Circle Bookstore – This is probably the cutest bookstore I’ve ever seen! When I look at it I can’t help but picture Meg Ryan in “You’ve Got Mail”. They have a children’s room that they have made extra cozy by filling it with good books, pillows, and stuffed animals. Every Saturday they offer a story time at 10:15 for children. This cold weather is a perfect time to take your kiddos to Full Circle Bookstore to hear a great story, and they even occasionally have a special guest!
14. Journey Church Playtubes – Journey Church has an indoor playground that is perfect for playing indoors on those cold winter days! The playtubes are open Monday-Friday from 9 am to 5 pm. Oklahoma City Moms Blog actually had their first play group there. Click here to read all about it!
15. Main Event – This is a new and exciting place in Oklahoma City! They are filled to the brim with arcade games, a bowling alley, and they even have gravity ropes which sits high above the arcade room. Side note: Their mac’n’cheese and meatballs are beyond delicious!
16. Arctic Edge Ice Arena – Sometimes a chilly indoor activity is just the ticket when you don’t want to be outside. Public skate times vary by day so be sure to check the calendar to see when you can go!
17. Sam Noble Museum – The Sam Noble Museum has something for everyone! The Discovery Room is great for your little ones and on Saturdays they have reptile and fish feeding times as well as other fun children’s programs!
Share with us your favorite places to play indoors this winter!