When it comes to Easter baskets, I am usually on top of things. I start collecting items for weeks before: things my child wants, needs, and some things that are just fun. But this year, I looked up and realized Easter was just 2 weeks away and I have nothing. Anytime I do try to get something, my child finds it before I can hide it. So I had to go to work and make a list and try to get it all before the bunny is due to arrive. And if you’re like me, looking for inspiration to fill this year’s basket, I thought I’d share some ideas to get you going.
1. Jump into Spring.
Chances are your little ones are going to need all-new spring and summer things. Going this route allows you to think ahead and give some practical, but fun things!
- Clothing: spring PJ’s, sandals, flip flops, sunglasses, hats, spring outfit, swimsuit, beach towel
- Outside toys: chalk, pool/beach toys (don’t forget the goggles), gardening tools, bubbles
2. Inspire creativity.
If I am going to give a toy, I want it to be something that will spark imagination and maybe get a little more use than just coming out of the box.
- Art Supplies: Markers/crayons/colored pencils, coloring books, stickers, washi tape
- Educational/Imagination: Books, play-doh, activity/workbooks, comic books, kinetic sand, card or board games, puzzles
3. Give an Experience.
Bring less stuff into the house, without losing the fun factor.
- Gift cards for favorite a restaurant or activity place (trampoline park)
- Make your own coupons for a fun activity like staying up late, going to the park on a school night, or family game night
4. Check out the dollar store/aisle.
You can always find some fun items, especially seasonal ones, without spending a lot.
- Easter themed pencils, notebooks, or accessories (I’m thinking Bunny ears)
- Or go small with mini puzzles, games, Lego sets, matchbox cars, novelty socks
I’ll probably include a favorite candy or treat, but I am trying not to add to the sugar pile that we’ll collect through the multiple egg hunts between now and Easter. Now all I need to do is choose a couple of things from this list and get shopping! What are you putting in your baskets this year?