I’ll say it. Dating after having kids sucks. It requires:
- And a babysitter
And I don’t know about you but I might have one or two of those 4 things but I sure don’t have all 4 at the same time. So what’s the solution? I love it when you ask me questions. The solution is – an at home date!!!! They can be had, I promise. And with the elimination of need #4 (the babysitter), you’re only down to 3 things. Because I care about you, I’m going to take care of the rest for you. You don’t even have to write it down! Welcome to your “Date Night – OKC Mom’s Blog style”
#1 TIME is after the kids are in bed. This could be 7:30, if you’re one of those lucky parents, or it could be 9:00. If you have one who likes to continue getting up, it is okay to fill their room with electronic devices for this one night. I promise it will buy you some time.
#2 MONEY Here is the beauty of this one. Don’t want to spend anything? Once the kids are down – cook a sophisticated meal together. You want to spend $5 – A Braums carton of ice cream and some chocolate syrup. You want to spend $5-$10 – Chili’s chips and queso to go. You want to spend $25-$50 – takeout from your favorite splurge.
Note: While one of you is making #1 happen, the other one is taking #2 and getting your late night snack.
#3 PLANNING Don’t have time to come up with any ideas? That’s why I’m here.
- Binge watch Longmire, Young and Hungry, The Office, or really anything you want on Netflix, Hulu, or catch up on your DVR.
- Rent a movie – Okay, so this one might be old school but I’m not ashamed to be seen at the local Redbox.
- Dance. Yep. We have turned our living room into an adults only dance party. We almost wished we were 20 years younger so we could go try out our new found dance moves on a real dance floor. Almost…. Seriously – so fun. You have to try it.
- Nothing. Just need to catch up? Break all the daytime rules and eat on the couch or the coffee table, or even in bed and catch up with one another with some good ole fashioned conversation. Phone shut down required.
- Sex. It’s free, it’s easy, it’s fun, and your husband will think you are a ROCK STAR for initiating it.
If it’s been a long time since you have had some alone time with that other person who lives with you – try our official “Date Night – OKC Mom’s Blog style” – at home!