Our kids are so lucky to have the content they have today. Moana, Elsa, Lightning McQueen, Daniel Tiger – all amazing. My three-year old and I are both big fans of the Hamilton soundtrack. But there is something about sharing a movie you loved as a kid – the stories that made you who you are today, watched on a VCR, a movie you had to REWIND YOURSELF or possibly even rent from Blockbuster – with your kiddos.
Pop some popcorn, throw a pizza in the oven, and cozy up with blankets. Let’s do family movie night – old school!
- Swiss Family Robinson (1960) – A family trapped on a deserted island? The perfect movie to add to your watch list right now. Then go outside and build an epic treehouse!
- Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971) – before Harry Potter, there was Miss Price [while rated G, please note this movie contains tobacco depictions]
- Robin Hood (1973) – “oodalally, oodalally, golly what a day”may just replace “let it goooooo” as the most repeated song line in your house
- Charlotte’s Web (1973) – a wise mom is the hero of this film; what else can I say?
- The Fox and the Hound (1981) – a fox and a hound becoming best friends is a no-brainer, but did you know there is a sequel to this one in which Reba McEntire and Patrick Swayze are dogs in a traveling band?! I’m sneaking this 2006 feature on the list because my husband, son and I all love it!
- The Adventures of Milo and Otis (1986) – a dog and a cat as best friends is the wholesome content we’re all needing!
- The Little Mermaid (1989) – adorable fish AND the best Disney soundtrack of all time.
- Aladdin (1992) – anything with Robin Williams is a winner in my book.
- Homeward Bound (1993) – the CLASSIC tale of three pets who get lost but ultimately find their way home. There is also a classic 1963 version titled the Incredible Journey and a Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco – the perfect line up for family movie night!
- A Bug’s Life (1998) – for those who love to cheer for the under-bug.
- Annie (1982) – in case your kids need a refresher on what a good mom they have
- Princess Bride (1986) – go ahead and teach the kiddos to respond to your every request with, “as you wish”
- Mighty Ducks (1992) – an attorney turned hockey coach who leads a co-ed group of youths to victory, also a great series!
- Cool Runnings (1993) – the inspiring story of the 1988 Olympics Jamaican bobsled team.
- Monkey Trouble (1994) – Thora Birch adopts a cute little monkey who turns out to be a pickpocket. What more could you need?
- Babe (1995) – talking animals who become best friends, yes please!
- The Indian in the Cupboard (1995) – the spark we all need to let our imaginations run wild
- The Big Green (1995) – classic sports film with some hilarious one-liners.
- Space Jam (1996) – in the words of Kid President, “I love Space Jam.”
- Matilda (1996) – Matilda is MY IDOL. This is hands-down my favorite movie on this list!
- Harriet the Spy (1996) – perfect for any kid who has ever felt like they don’t belong, Harriet owns her weirdness and learns about true friendship.
- The Borrowers (1997) – features Tom Felton before he was Draco Malfoy!!!
- The Parent Trap (1998) – I’m partial to the Lindsay Lohan version, but there is also a classic 1961 version!