Hooray! We’ve survived another roller coaster of an Oklahoma winter and are finally moving into warmer temps (although can I get a “whoop whoop” for our mild winter this year?!). I don’t know about you, but with warmer temps mostly here to stay, my family and I are ready for all things outdoor and patio related. So without further ado, here are some fun outdoor OKC metro events that are sure to put a spring pep in your step…
Stroll around OKC’s beautiful arts district the first Friday of each month year round, while checking out a variety local artists and enjoying refreshments and food trucks.
Each second Friday of the month (rain or shine), Plaza district businesses stay open late with featured artists, live music, shopping, and more!
Come check out this family-friendly street festival occurring every third Saturday from March through October in downtown Edmond featuring food trucks galore, live music, and local shopping.
Come observe eagles in their winter homes the first and second Sunday of March in the Lake Thunderbird state park in Norman. Each session is limited to 30 people so be sure to make your reservation.
Martin Nature Center
- Critter Crunch: Every Sunday November-February from 2-3 pm, come watch live feeding demonstrations of the park’s animal inhabitants, as well as learn more about the animals’ food sources and feeding habits.
- Nature Play Group: This weekly program taking place each Tuesday from 10-11 am is led by OCU graduate students, and introduces children (age 2-6) to nature in a fun, safe environment. Kids will enjoy hands-on games and crafts, as well as fun weekly themes.
Swing by the beautiful botanical gardens the second and third Tuesday and Thursday in March from 10am-12pm to let your little one create a craft, plant seeds, or go on a scavenger hunt.
Come check out the world’s largest junior livestock show at the state fairgrounds March 9-18.
Taking place on Saturday, March 19th from 10am-2pm, bring your little cowpokes out to the Oklahoma History Center in OKC for a day of indoor and outdoor cowboy fun! Events include pony rides, stick horse races, rope making, biscuit cooking, trick rope demonstrations, costume contest and more!
St. Patrick’s Day Events
- OKC St. Patrick’s Day Parade (3/12)
- Bricktown St. Patrick’s Day Block Party (3/17)
- St. Paddy’s Day Race (3/12): 8K, 5K, mile fun run, 40 yard dash for kids at Lake Hefner
- St. Patty’s Day Dash (3/12): 5K @ Mitch Park in Edmond
Check out some of the metro’s finest coffee establishments on March 25-26. There is an optional bicycle route for an extra dose of warm weather enjoyment!
OKC Arts Festival (4/19-4/24)
Edmond Arts Festival (4/29-5/1)
And if you’re in the mood for a patio-side cocktail and dinner, click HERE for a list of outdoor seating restaurants around the metro. Other establishments like The Patriarch in downtown Edmond and Bleu Garten in OKC offer nightly outdoor beverages and food trucks. And if you haven’t already, check out Visit OKC Events guide where you can type in specific date ranges to see all the fun stuff happening in our city!
So get out and explore our gorgeous Metro this spring! And the picture-perfect weather (while it lasts!).