I’ll be the first to admit that it’s hard to plan a date night. A romantic date night for us usually consists of going to the grocery store kid free. However with Valentine’s Day approaching, I thought it would be nice to change things up a bit and actually come up with something fun to do with my hubby. It’s important for me to make my marriage a priority, and it’s important to have date nights that don’t include my kids. What better time to plan something than Valentines Day? If you are still searching for the perfect date night idea, look no further.
Here are 15 Valentine’s Day date ideas if you have a kids free evening:
1. Dinner – This is always a classic. Get dressed up, or keep it casual. Whatever you do though, call ahead and find out if you need a reservation!
2. Bowling – Challenge each other to a friendly, or not so friendly, game of bowling. Don’t forget your socks!
3. Ice skating – Hold hands and skate slow or race each other around the rink.
4. Baron’s Game – Go cheer on Oklahoma City’s hockey team as they finish up their final season.
5. Movie – Nothing screams “Date Night” quite like dinner and a movie. There are many awesome grown-up movies in the theater right now. However if you are really aching to see a kid’s movie, do not fret. The new SpongeBob Squarepants movie hits theaters in February.
6. Zoo Date – Have a zoo pass that hasn’t been brushed off in awhile? Leave the kids with a sitter and go with your hubby. You could even bring a sack lunch and have a picnic.
8. Cupcake Shop – Have fun together sampling cupcakes from one of Oklahoma City’s awesome cupcake shops. Gigi’s Cupcakes, Cupcakes to Go Go, Butter Sweet Cakes, there are tons of options and one that is close to you.
9. Breakfast Date – If you are lucky enough to have a babysitter all day, go out for breakfast. You might just beat the crowds! Check out Jenna’s list of brunch places in OKC.
11. Theater – On Valentine’s Day, Lyric Theater will be featuring “Pageant”. This is a musical comedy about beauty contests who have their eyes on the crown.
12. Michael Murphy’s Dueling Pianos – Looking for a little live entertainment? Head on over to Bricktown to listen to an awesome request driven show. Not only is the music great, but these talented musicians are also downright hilarious. Check out their website and reserve your table. If all reservations are full, they have 20 tables available on a first come basis.
13. Ballet – Oklahoma City Ballet is presenting Romeo and Juliet. It really doesn’t get anymore romantic than that!
14. Monster Jam – Monster Jam will be at Chesapeake Energy Arena on Valentine’s Day. This definitely is off the beaten path as far as romantic goes, but there’s a good possibility you will win “wife of the year” if you plan this for your hubby.
15. Looney Bin – I love a good laugh, especially when it doesn’t involve knock-knock jokes or the word “poop”. Go visit the Looney Bin for a hilarious time. On Valentine’s Day, Tracy Smith will be there.
Don’t have a sitter for Valentines Day? Don’t want to fight the crowds? Here are 10 date night ideas for those of us who will be staying at home:
1. Cook dinner together – Cook your favorite meal, even if it is something that is not picky eater friendly.
2. Don’t cook dinner together – Stop by your favorite restaurant and order your meal to-go. Put the kids to bed, put away the phones, and bring out the candles.
3. Offer free massages – Grab some oil and give each other massages
4. Put the kids to bed early and rent a movie – A movie that doesn’t have to be rated G, and one that doesn’t involve any singing animated characters. Be sure to include the candy and popcorn. Best part, you can wear your jammies and fast forward the previews.
5. Have a picnic – Under the stars in your backyard, or if the weather does not permit, have a picnic on the floor in your bedroom!
6. Find a TV series that you both enjoy and have a marathon – Netflix and Hulu are great places to catch up on your favorite series. Cuddle up on the couch and enjoy!
7. Play a game – Monopoly, Twister, or whatever you think is fun! It’s amazing how enjoyable playing games with another adult can be.
8. Surprise him with a little lingerie – Need I say more?!
9. Have an ice-cream tasting party for two. Grab a couple of flavors of the smallest ice-cream bins you can find. Have fun sampling the different varieties.
10. Fondue – With the kids playing or asleep you can enjoy your fondue without having to worry about little fingers in the flames, or spilled cheese and chocolate on the floor.